Back in September 2011, Microsoft announced that they would publish three new Hyper-V Virtual Machines for a full immersion in the Office and SharePoint 2010 Experience, virtual machine a, b and c. It contained all the goodies you have come to love including SQL 2008 R2 & Windows Server 2008 R2. I remember trying this out when it was originally released, but recently wanted to spin up this machine in Hyper V. Unfortunately I couldn’t find the download anywhere. It seems it has been pulled from Microsoft’s download centre due to the release of SharePoint 2013 and Office 2013. Luckily I still had the original download of virtual machine “a” on an old backup drive I have – So I’ve uploaded it an decided to share this with you, as it still has a lot of use on its own.
Virtual machine “alfa” contains the following pre-configured software:
- Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Standard Evaluation Edition, running as an Active Directory Domain Controller for the “CONTOSO.COM” domain with DNS and WINS
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition with Analysis, Notification, and Reporting Services
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
- Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 SP1 Enterprise Edition
- Microsoft Office Web Applications SP1
- Microsoft FAST Search for SharePoint 2010 SP1
- Microsoft Project Server 2010 SP1
- Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 SP1
- Microsoft Visio 2010 SP1
- Microsoft Project 2010 SP1
- Microsoft Lync 2010
Active directory has been preconfigured with over 200 “demo” users with metadata in an organizational structure. All of these user profiles have been imported and indexed for search within SharePoint Server 2010, with “Contoso\Administrator” granted Domain Admin permissions.
SharePoint Server 2010 has been configured in a “Complete” farm using the default SQL Server 2008 R2 instance. A default site has been created using the Team Site template at http://intranet.contoso.com/ and a FAST Search Center at http://intranet.contoso.com/search/
Supported Operating Systems:
Windows Server 2008 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows 8 Pro/8.1 Pro (If you convert VHD to VHDX format)
Additionally you will need:
Windows Server 2008/2012 with the Hyper-V role enabled.
Drive Formatting: NTFS
Processor: Intel VT or AMD-V capable
RAM: 10GB or more recommended
Hard disk space required for install: 50 GB
Login to the Virtual Machines using the Virtual Machine Console as the following user:
- User: Administrator
- Password: pass@word1
- Domain: CONTOSO
Please note: The keyboard layout for the VM is US so the ‘@’ symbol would be SHIFT+2 in the UK.
You can download VHD here (15.6GB)